Tuesday, November 04, 2008

Firefox 3.0 Hangs

I am an avid Firefox supporter, but the computer tech in me knows that for the sake of stability you never run towards a major release of a software right away. Personally, I prefer to let all of the other people work out the bugs and issues with a new version of the software - especially if my old version is running fine.

However, I started having so many issues with the old Firefox 2.x version, that I decided to break the norm and upgrade to Firefox 3.0. I did the test on my laptop first, and was surprised to find that there were no hiccups like I had when updating from Firefox 1.0 to 2.0 back in the day. However, my laptop is not anything like my production machine which I use for EVERYTHING - so I was still nervous.

Finally, I decided to roll the dice and updated my production machine. All of the bugs and issues I was having with 2.0 were corrected, and I was actually EXCITED about the features in the new version.

Then all of a sudden I noticed a major issue; when I reopened Firefox all of my tabs did not save. This was one of the main things I LOVED about Firefox; being a developer that works on multiple projects at the same time it is a very handy feature. At first I ignored it, but as Firefox started to hang, freeze, and lose my tabs repeatedly - it started to frustrate me.

After doing a little research on Google, I ran across an article on the Mozilla support site that talked about resolving FireFox hangs. What a life saver!

This article may have made the difference from me reverting back to FireFox 2.x, or trying out Google Chrome. Hopefully it will help you too:
http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/Firefox+hangs#Duplicate_Session_Restore_files

- Presario

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home